The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX)
The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals (CBYX) is a fellowship funded by the German Bundestag and U.S. Department of State, that annually provides 75 American and 75 German young professionals, between the ages of 18½–24, the opportunity to spend one year in each other’s countries, studying, interning, and living with hosts on a cultural immersion program.
The program consists of three phases:
- Two months of intensive German language training
- One semester of classes in one’s academic or career field at a university, technical or professional school
- Three-month internships in one’s career field
CBYX is open to candidates in all career fields who are interested in a year of academic, professional, and cultural exchange.
Participants are expected to act as “young ambassadors” of the United States in Germany, and to represent the diversity of the U.S. in factors including, but not limited to, career field, educational background, geographic location, disabilities, ethnicity, gender, race, religion and socio-economic status.
- U.S. citizenship
- Ages 18½–24 at the start of the program
- High school diploma
- Must exhibit clear career goals and relevant experience in their career field
- Experience can be in the form of work, internships, or volunteering
- Strong interest in German and world affairs
- Prior German language knowledge is not required but is preferred